The Software Engineering Manager is responsible for the overall architecture and technical direction of one or more software engineering teams. This individual must be highly proficient with current software development technology, tools, and practices, particularly in the area of SAAS model. The candidate must have experience with microservices, API design, cloud-native architectures, and possess the ability to understand the implementation level details. The successful candidate will be able to steer projects toward the grand solution, be business savvy and drive design solutions that meet customer needs and constraints. Additionally, this person has responsibility for the growth and mentoring of the entire software engineering team, as well as the individual team members.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with product management to drive software engineering projects
- Exhibit technology leadership by participating in architecture and technology decisions with architects and fellow senior leadership
- Participate in architecture & technology roadmap planning
- Observe, coach and facilitate effective communication and alignment among product, architecture and engineering teams
- Contribute to project plans and product roadmaps, specifically in the areas of task breakdown, estimating, and scheduling
- Capacity planning for initiatives and staffing engineers with the necessary skills and ensuring that engineering teams remain relevant and prepared to deliver through training and professional development plans.
Team Management Responsibilities
- Communicate status of projects and team progress reports up the management chain
- Provide consistent team goals, objectives
- Continually seek to identify, remove impediments to progress and success
- Provide guidance and direction to all members of our Agile team(s).
- Provide mentoring and career development to individual team members of every discipline and experience level.
- Champion initiatives to consistently improve software engineering teams
- Actively seek to attract new talent and improve the hiring process
The Skills and Experience You’ll Bring
- Prior experience managing software engineering teams in an agile environment
- Prior experience managing software engineering teams in an external-facing product company
- Prior experience with SaaS technology
- Knowledge of Modern Server Frameworks such as Node or Spring Boot
- Knowledge of Modern Web UI Frameworks such as Angular or React
- Familiarity with Cloud-Native Development such as in AWS, Azure, or Google
- Knowledge of Microservices established best practices
- Knowledge of REST APIs established best practices
- Knowledge of Design Principles and Patterns
- Practical experience with OO and/or Functional Programming
- Practical experience with unit testing
- Strong experience with Agile and at least one agile methodology such as SCRUM, XP, or SAFE