Sr. Linux Engineer opportunity
In this role you will be part of the Technical Operations team in an enterprise IT organization, providing solutions to achieve business requirements and corporate solutions. This position requires the engineer to provide Linux, VMware & Cloud administration including; design, implement, configure, and maintain hardware, operating system, and virtualization platforms.
Participates in initial project analysis including feasibility studies, scope, timeline, task list, and workflow of projects. Designs, implements, and performs UNIX authentication and security audits while providing solutions and remediation for identified discrepancies. Owning the technical engagement and ultimate success around specific implementation projects and developing a deep expertise in the Cloud technologies as well as broad know-how around how applications and services are constructed using
the Cloud platforms.
The candidate should have previous cloud and On-Prem hands on experience, a demonstrated track record of a production infrastructure implementations and possess both hypervisor and server hardware expertise.
Provides technical expertise and assistance to team members as required. Reviews real-time trending information, and contacts tiered support, when necessary. Maintains regular contact with users and supervisor/manager regarding status of open or pending
project tasks. Assesses and develops long-term strategic goals for production operating systems versions in conjunction with data owners.
What You’ll Do
- Install and configured Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL7/8) or similar.
- Install and maintain security patches on the operational and development system, which includes but is not limited to, Centos, Red Hat Linux and similar Linux based OS.
- Management of Linux user accounts, groups, directories and file permissions.
- Design and Configure Clustering Topology that meets High Availability and Failover requirement for performance and functionality.
- Installation, Configuration and administration of DNS, LDAP, NFS, NIS, NIS+ and Sendmail on Linux Servers.
- Configured, managed ESX VM’s with virtual center or in cloud environments.
- Performance monitoring using Sar, Iostat, VMstat or similar
- Configure or update logging and monitoring for Linux based systems
- Apply patches and hardening configurations regularly to meet audit requirements
- Troubleshoot problems with deployed servers, demonstrating a strong understanding of inter-dependencies between various services.
- Ability to automate tasks with programming (Shell scripting) or configuration management tools (Ansible, puppet), etc. is preferred
- Server racking, cabling and physical hardware troubleshooting.
- Manage VMWARE vSphere HOSTS in a HA/DRS Environment.
- Proficient in using all Amazon Web Services including EC2, EBS, IAM, S3, ALB,Security Groups, etc.
- Deploy and monitor scalable infrastructure on Amazon web services (AWS) & configuration management
- EFS file system creation/configuration and mounting the EFS in AWS cloud and on-premise servers
- Minimum 10 to 12 years in LINUX v7.0, v8 install, configure, and upgrade of Linux systems and servers
- Minimum 4+Years of experience in AWS and Should have strong knowledge in AWS architecture best practices and Operations.
- Candidate must have AWS Certified SysOps Administrator’ or any equivalent cloud certification.
- Should have strong technical knowledge and hands-on experience in the following:
o Experience provisioning, operating, and maintaining systems running on AWS
o Ability to identify and gather requirements to define a solution to be built and operated on AWS
o Experience with using a broad range of AWS technologies (e.g. EC2, RDS, ALB, EBS, EMR, S3, Glacier, IAM, CloudWatch, KMS, Security Groups and Lambda) to develop and maintain an Amazon AWS based cloud solution, with an emphasis on best practice cloud security
- Demonstrable experience in UNIX, Linux Server Support, designing, troubleshooting and storage implementation
- Ability to articulate standard methodologies for implementation and remediation of security vulnerabilities
- Current, enterprise-class experience designing and implementing highly available infrastructure solutions using the VMWare vSphere or cloud technologies]
- Experience with HA and DR strategies across multiple data centers
- Experience with shared storage solutions
- Review operational metrics and drive team performance
- Demonstrated experience to cover on-call / Standby on rotation.
- Applying creativity and out of the box thinking, being flexible and being able to support all functions of product life cycle when required.
- Ability to deliver with high quality from coarse grained requirements
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A solid foundation in Computer Science principles in terms of filesystems, processes, network stack, protocols, etc. is necessary for a candidate to be able to perform as per expectations at a senior position.
Technical skills required:
- Operating System: Red Hat Linux 7/8, CentOS, SUSE Linux or similar.
- Hardware: Dell, HP, Cisco, Brocade, Pure, NetApp.
- Languages: Unix Shell Scripting, Python, Perl, json,
- Cloud: AWS, Azure.
- Configuration Management: Ansible, Tower or similar.
- Network/Naming Services: NIS, NFS, AutoFS, DNS, DHCP.
- On-Prem Platforms: VMWare, Bare metal (HP, Dell).
- TCP/IP, LDAP, LACP and basic network configuration.
- WAN, LAN and Cloud Hub technologies.
- Storage/SAN/NAS system technologies