- Ability to support, lead and delegate the project team's responsibilities and tasks through all stages of the project life cycle.
- Knowledge of scripting for online and offline deliverables.
- Knowledge of technical specifications and requirements (e.g., Document Type Definitions (DTD), technical manual format requirements) for the production and delivery of technical data.
- Knowledge of page layout design and formatting, including integration of text and graphics.
- Knowledge of the processes and activities associated with development, production, delivery and sustainment of technical publications that are needed to support customers and delivered products. Publications include paper, electronic, and interactive forms of media used during operations, maintenance, training, and support of delivered products and services (e.g., operational manuals and checklists, maintenance documentation, illustrated parts breakdowns, wiring diagrams and flow schematics, field modification instructions, etc.).
- Ability to write clear, concise technical prose. Ability to apply technical knowledge and knowledge of fundamental writing skills.
- Represents organization as a prime contact on contracts or projects. Interacts with senior internal and external personnel on significant matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
- Knowledge of industry, military and government specifications, handbooks and standards
Education and Experience
- 6-9 years with Bachelor's degree or 4-7 years with Master's degree
DUTIES OF TECHNICAL WRITER 3 WILL NCLUDE:
- Drafts or revises all technical publication elements for a major equipment system to include work instructions, operator manuals, handbooks, procedure instructions, advisories and checklists.
- Reviews technical publication product requirements.
- Determines product elements/scope and develops time/resource estimates.
- Develops source materials, interviews subject matter experts and reviews drawings/specifications.
- Applies style standards and integrates and sequences content. Defines illustrations, diagrams, photographs and charts requirements.
- Conducts usability reviews.
- Observes production and operational activities.
- Validates technical publication accuracy.
- Reviews documents for consistent application of style, format/quality standards and revises as needed.
- Coordinates technical documents for comments and approvals.
- Maintains configuration control and tracks revisions.
- Organizes content for publication and develops electronic documentation.
- Develops style guides, templates and project workflows.