Job title: Engineering Manager
Full-Time job $135-150k
North of Salt Lake City, UT
The Engineering Manager plays a pivotal role in both managing our Research and Development team as well as works to evaluate new product designs for manufacturability, provide valuable insights for optimization, and steering projects from conception to production.
Their responsibilities include leading and mentoring a small team of Engineers and Machinists, collaborating with the Founder to assess new designs, implementing process optimizations, integrating cutting-edge technologies, and ensuring stringent quality control measures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Analyzing and optimizing manufacturing processes to improve efficiency, reduce waste, and enhance overall productivity.
- Works with other leaders in the organization to implement Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma
- principles to streamline operations and reduce defects.
- Collaborates with Manufacturing Engineers, Machinists, and Set Up Technicians to ensure that CNC machines operate effectively and produce high quality parts.
- Conducts root cause analysis and implements corrective and preventative actions for quality issues.
- Coordination with the Maintenance department to address equipment breakdowns and minimize downtime.
- Works directly with our Founder to evaluate new or revised designs and transfer them into production.
- Interacts with individuals outside of the organization including inventors, suppliers, and potential customers.
- Manages Engineering projects, including planning, budgeting, and execution.
- Coordinates with cross-functional teams to ensure project milestones are met.
- Identifies cost-savings opportunities within the manufacturing process.
- Works to improve cost-effectiveness and resource utilization.
- Stays informed about the latest advancements in CNC technology and manufacturing processes.
- Evaluates and recommends the adoption of new technologies to improve productivity.
- Ensures that manufacturing processes comply with relevant industry regulations and standards.
- Collaborates with regulatory bodies to obtain necessary certifications.
- Leads and participates in continuous improvement activities.
- Conducts regular performance reviews of processes and identifies areas for enhancement.
- Addresses technical challenges and provides solutions to problems that may arise during the manufacturing process.
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams to resolve complex issues.
- Works in tandem with the Human Resources Department to recruit, hire and train Research and Development staff.
- Conducts performance evaluations and provides feedback, leadership, and guidance to the Research and Development team.
- Facilitates training programs to enhance the skills of the Research and Development team.
- Addresses and resolves conflicts within the Research and Development team.
- 50% of time spent on supervisory responsibilities, 50% of time spent as a working manager.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to successfully perform the duties of this position:
- Technical Capacity.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Advanced mathematics/engineering.
- Root cause analysis.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Sense of urgency and ability to drive projects to finish
- Excellent writing skills.
These are the minimum qualifications required to successfully perform the job:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Materials engineering or similar field
- 5+ years of experience in durable product design, testing, production and quality assurance
- 2+ years of demonstrated leadership experience, across either people or project management
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Advanced Solid Works, MS Office products, and other appropriate software
Work is performed in a laboratory or office environment. This position will collaborate and perform quality control in manufacturing and engineering areas. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must wear appropriate personal safety protection equipment. This equipment will vary based upon the work location and type of work being performed but often will include safety glasses and
sometimes may include protective clothing.